There was a time when a three-foot-wide TV was branded as a mammoth. But coming to the modern scenario, the big-sized screens are the ones in vogue especially 55 inch TV.
These sublime beauties can turn your drawing space into a mini-theater instantaneously without ruining your Feng Shui.
Among the available screen sizes, 55 inches is considered optimum given its straddling nature between the wall-mounted 60+ inch behemoths and the smaller bedroom favorites.
Braced with surging technological advancements, massive changes have taken shape in the way we watch television.
This has triggered a growing demand for TVs which can offer more than just a holistic viewing experience.
Modern-day millennial demand a smart hub that can be used for accessing on-demand content through the internet, recording favorite shows and mesmerizing us with premium range sound quality which we had earlier thought was reserved just for the elite.
Top 55 inch TV under $600
|LG 55UK6300PUE||4k (Ultra HD)||$$$$||View Product|
|Samsung UN55RU7100FXZA||4k (Ultra HD)||$$$$||View Product|
|TCL 55S405||4k (Ultra HD)||$$||View Product|
|Insignia NS-55DF710NA19||4k (Ultra HD)||$$$||View Product|
|Hitachi 55RH1||4k (Ultra HD)||$$$||View Product|
|TCL 55S517||4k (Ultra HD)||$$$||View Product|
|Toshiba 55-inch 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV||4k (Ultra HD)||$$||View Product|
|Skyworth U5A||4k (Ultra HD)||$$||View Product|
|Sceptre U558CV-UMC||4k (Ultra HD)||$||View Product|
|Sceptre U550CV-UMR||4k (Ultra HD)||$||View Product|
Sporting wide viewing angles, this RGBW IPS TV maintains supreme visual accuracy even viewed from a distance. The lesser input lags make the device feel much more responsive to commands.
However, its low native contrast ratio can cause the blacks to appear a bit grey when viewed in a dark room. The LG 55UK6300PUE is also infamous for lacking adequate sharpness in straight lines and smaller details especially when used as a PC monitor.
LG manufacturers have kept the TV design minimalistic with a sturdy stand which is well adept in supporting the device weight. Coming next to picture quality, LG stands out as a winner in the department of handling reflections.
Soundbars or a dedicated speaker setup are recommended for a better sound experience. Running on LG’s webOS 4.0, the easy to navigate UK6300 packs in an array of smart features in the form of LG Content store housing movies, TV shows and additional applications that can be purchased or rented.
- In-pane switching technology offers rich colors irrespective of the viewing angle.
- Scene-by-scene optimization provided by its multi-format 4K high dynamic range support with LG’s advanced tone-mapping technology.
- Artificial Intelligence enabled TV helps in transforming your house into a hub for connecting smart devices.
- One tap buttons for connecting with Amazon and Netflix.
- The programming setup is time-consuming.
If you are on the lookout for a decent 4K LED TV without going overboard with the budget, then the Samsung UN55RU7100FXZA can suffice your requirements in the best manner possible.
It has good native contrast ratio and extremely low input lag which makes it the ideal choice for gamers. However, its image tends to lose accuracy when seen from an angle.
The bottom edge of the TV panel might get warm on being used over long stretches of time.
However, this is pretty common in most Samsung models and thus should not serve as a cause of concern.
The UN55RU7100FXZA has very good grey uniformity with next to none dirty screen effect making it the perfect choice for sports fans.
In the 50% grey test frames, you can notice slightly darkened corners which slowly fades as we shift out attention towards the screen center.
- Features a powerful 4K UHD processor which can optimize the performance of your TV.
- HDR television shows images in its truest sense so that you can make the most out of your TV viewing experience.
- The simple on-screen guide makes it super easy to come across streaming content as well as live TV shows.
- Single-button located underneath the TV helps in bringing up a menu for changing inputs, channels, as well as volume.
- Picture size control button on its accompanying remote control can be used for upscaling lower resolution content.
- It is not Roku TV enabled.
If you wish to bring home a 4K TV having HDR support without breaking the bank, then the TCL Roku can surely fit your bit.
The design is pretty simple with a glossy back finish on the slightly curved bezel running around the display panel and matte black chassis.
The power connector is housed at the right-hand side edge of the TV while all the other connections are stacked in the left hemisphere. The 55-inch standard easy-to-use Roku remote comes with dedicated service buttons for HBO NOW, amazon, Sling TV and Netflix.
Although the set provides HDR10 support, there remains a large-scale requirement for other HDR formats such as Dolby Vision.
Its built-in 8-watt speakers help the 55S405 in making way for two-channel sound which can easily fill up a room with no noticeable distortion. Since the set does not have a subwoofer, the thumping bass line might sound to be slightly muffled.
- Low input lag.
- Low motion blur aids in maintaining the clarity of fast-moving content.
- Intuitive interface providing access to more than 4000 streaming channels.
- The ROKU remote lacks advanced features such as voice control.
- Picture quality deteriorates while viewing from extreme angles.
The new generation TV from Insignia can take your entertainment drive to a whole new level coupled with its Alexa powered Voice Remote and built-in Fire TV experience.
You can access all your favorite movies and TV shows with its true-to-life 4K Ultra HD picture quality which can help you in deriving the true flavor from visuals.
The 55-inch TV is powered by a quad-core CPU/Multi-core GPU which leads to fluid responsiveness and instant search results.
You can hook it up easily with dual-band Wi-Fi for enjoying a complete audio visual extravaganza.
It also features three HDMI inputs as well as multiple other input/output options each of whose name can be customized.
Even the picture settings of each connected device can be adjusted in accordance with your preference.
Apart from just normal TV viewing, Alexa also helps in benefitting out of its numerous skills be it checking the game score or ordering pizza to keep you company as you binge-watch your favorite Netflix series.
- Delivers true-to-life 4K Ultra HD picture comprising of more than 8 million pixels.
- Features thousands of built-in channels, apps and even Alexa skills to take your entertainment drive to a whole new level.
- Streaming channels and live over-the-air TV can be seamlessly integrated on a unified home screen with the Fire TV edition.
- Accompanying Voice Remote empowered with Alexa skills help in easily controlling your TV output so that you can control its operations using just your voice.
- Lacks ROKU app.
- Remote operation has a steep learning curve.
The 55-inch TV category continues to serve as a popular choice of consumers as it offers the combination of brilliant graphics and state-of-art technologies without crossing over the budget threshold.
The Hitachi Roku TV features an anti-glare LCD screen which can deliver Ultra HD picture having a maximum resolution of 3840*2160 pixels.
Fast-paced action sequences remain smooth and crisp by the complete elimination of choppy images as well as ghosting which are infamous for lowering down performance displays.
It also becomes easy to stream your favorite content either for free or by paying a subscription fee amongst thousands of available options.
You can also exercise advanced features such as pause, play and reverse scan of live television programs up to 90 minutes with this Roku TV provided you have the backing of USB 2.0, Antenna TV and 16GB storage.
The Roku Mobile app can be downloaded for casting videos, photos and music by turning your smartphone into a wireless remote.
- Fitting at the back can be used for hooking up a cable.
- It does not require wires for being connected to the internet as it functions through the wireless mode.
- The TV offers the ideal setup for those using streaming services such as Amazon Prime, Hulu, Netflix etc.
- Easy to set up and navigate.
- Remote lacks number keys making it mandatory to scroll through all the channels before reaching your desired one.
- Lacks instructions for hooking up a DVD or external receiver.
You can now enjoy Ultra HD picture quality courtesy the 5-series 4K TCL Roku TV which paves the way for enhanced detail and clarity while streaming almost all 4K TV channels.
TCL sticks to its trademark sleek look with the 55S517 model having an elegant base and thin borders. LEDs are hosted on the lower bottom part of this TV adding to its bulk along with a big vent which is meant to dissipate the generated heat and keep the TV cool at all times.
The TV performs better in dimmer viewing environments as it cannot get very bright although it is characterized by great black uniformity and excellent native contrast ratio.
Its intuitive interface allows one-tap access to more than 5,00,000 streaming TV episodes and movies, Blu-ray player, cable box, gaming console and other devices without having to flip through complicated menus.
- Super-sleek TV having stellar picture quality.
- It comes with a handy voice remote featuring RF capability which recognizes viewing habits and playlists.
- It also supports HDR10 and Dolby Vision.
- It is easy to setup.
- Low input lag makes it a perfect option for hard-core gaming.
- High native contrast ratio.
- Merges Dolby Vision HDR with the live streaming of Amazon and Netflix.
- It does not support Bluetooth connectivity for headphones.
- Lacks individual backlight zones.
- It cannot produce bright HDR highlights.
- Misses out on audio sync drift and motion smoothing features.
The simple design of the 4K UHD Smart TV manufactured by Toshiba gets accentuated by its crescent-shaped feet crafted using glossy plastic.
A Toshiba logo is embedded at the center of the bottom bezel while you can exercise physical control coupled with the single button for input and power selection especially when the remote isn’t handy.
You can also wall mount this 55-inch beauty with its rear panel holes which can accept a 200x300mm VESA mount.
Direct LED backlighting used by Toshiba devoid of local dimming might cause the panel to have distinct shadowing in its corners.
Its 10-watt speakers having DTS sound can easily fill up your room with booming sound waves.
It also steers clear of distortion and buzzing sound even with the volume knob tuned to the maximum level which surely comes in as a pleasant surprise given its budget price tag.
Its simplistic remote featuring a glossy ring comes surrounded with dedicated buttons for menu, home, back and media playback controls.
- Built-in Alexa and Amazon Fire TV functionality.
- Outstanding 4K Ultra HD picture quality.
- Easy navigation system assisted by the voice remote which allows you to switch inputs, play music, search for TV shows etc.
- Top speed and performance guaranteed by its quad-core CPU/Multi-core GPU.
- Mediocre contrast and poor black levels.
In spite of being a relatively unknown brand, Skyworth is slowly garnering a niche for itself in the market of televisions by blending in solid viewing experience and simplicity in a sleek frame which runs along the top and sides of the screen.
This in turn further beautifies the panel coupled with the chrome strip lining its bottom.
The built-in Google Assistant helps in using voice command for accessing the Smart TV features.
IPS technology brings ahead the vivid details in pictures irrespective of your viewing angle for making the most out of those fun-filled movie nights with friends.
The Quadcore processor also presents you with versatile possibilities as you welcome infinite and seamless technology to your home.
This state-of-art chipset helps with quicker loading time for all your content, games and apps.
- Supports 4:4:4 chroma sampling for rendering PC monitor support.
- Bluetooth connectivity helps in hooking up with headphones, controllers and remote controls.
- 60Hz refresh rate keeps the Skyworth TV free from all signs of lag and motion blurring.
- It comes with an IR remote control that can be used for accessing the television from a distance of 20 feet.
- Smart TV comes with an internet browser.
- Requires a lot of adjustment to benefit out of premium picture quality.
You can now illuminate your screen with 8 million pixels having stunning detail and endless hues as the SceptreU558CV-UMC models take your viewing experience a notch higher.
The clarity of 4K brilliance paves the way for lifelike images which gets a new definition when portrayed on a gigantic 55-inch screen.
Coupled with UHD upscaling feature, standard definition, high definition and full high definition visuals get enhanced vividly to 4k resolution.
With a maximum screen resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixels, the U558CV-UMC surely stands out as an innovative device which will surely be worth every penny spent on the same.
- Works as a great alternative for video surveillance monitor.
- Vibrant and clean picture quality.
- Comes with a voice-activated remote.
- Firestick is compatible with the TV.
- HDCP 2.2 ensures that all 4K content is transferred in a secure manner with adequate copyright protection.
- Sound is not up to the mark.
- It does not support HDR.
The U550CV model pairs up with 8 million pixels to encompass its audience with a realistic visual experience as vibrant colors materialize before your eyes.
The 4K UHD display of the Spectre can turn all your shows into an enthralling experience by enhancing the number of pixels by 4 times in comparison to its Full HD contemporaries. The resultant being lifelike and natural images with sheer brilliance and unequaled color.
UHD televisions suffer from the biggest handicap of choppiness and lag which occurs during the portrayal of fast-paced activity on the screen such as sporting events and a car race.
MEMC 120 aids in enjoying action-packed sequences in its truest sense as the scenes flow smoothly from frame to frame and you make the most of it without visual glitches hampering your experience.
- The widescreen aspect ratio of 16:9
- Mobile High Definition Link streams lag-free and crisp 4K quality content directly from the tablet or smartphone to the TV at 60FPS.
- Reduced motion blur unleashes the full potential of fast action sequences.
- Slow visual response while using the U550CV as a PC monitor.
How To Choose The Best 55 Inch TV
11 Things to Avoid Doing to Your Flat Screen TV
The TV industry has come a long away, from the first-ever colored TV to today’s 55-inch flat-screen TV’s.
Flat-screen TV is now quite a standard addition to household items. Every home, dorm, apartment and even shops own a pair. They have become quite a norm.
Like other latest technology, these flat screens also require attention and care. Technology these days is manufactured with amazing features but aren’t as durable as they used to be.
Keeping that in mind we formulated some tips and tricks that will help you increase the life span of your flat screen
In case you have no idea as to how to buy a TV set then make sure to read go through this TV buying guide.
2. Your 55-inch Flat Screen TV isn’t a home theater
In case you are currently in between a Netflix marathon where you crank up the TV volume and watch the screen at a weird angle then you have got to stop.
As TV design have gotten sleeker and thinner so have the speakers in them. Plus, the speakers installed aren’t famous for producing good audio.
What you can do instead is read this guide for the best Bluetooth speakers. Speakers are a very inexpensive solution to the problem and will save you the trouble of ruining your TV speakers by recommending the best Bluetooth speakers under $ 200.
You can also purchase a projector to revolutionize your movie time. We have also shortlisted the best projectors with amazing feedback.
In case you only have a limited amount of space then short-throw projectors are an ideal option. Click here to read more about short throw projectors and some of the best ones that you can buy.
4. Mounting isn’t an easy task
One of the major advantages of flat-screen TV is that it can be mounted on a wall, thus it saves you quite a lot of space.
Mounting is a task that requires attention and caution so never assume that you can mount a TV all by yourself. It’s better that you do not claim that you are somewhat of a professional at mounting.
Before mounting you need to take into account the structure of the wall and have to calculate where you intend to place the TV.
In case you have never mounted a TV before then do read the instructions provided.
6. Keep the wires away
The exposed wires are dangerous and ruin the entire look of the room.
While watching a movie on your clear and crisp flat screen you can get distracted with the messy wires. Looking at them can be quite stressful. Trying to organize and untangle them can be even more nerve-wracking.
Thou wiring the TV is a vital first step, the second step is hiding all those ugly wires. What you can do is sneak them all under the TV stand, you can zip them together or try some DIY techniques.
8. Avoid awkward wall placement
If you intend to invite over people for watching sport or movies, then you need to make sure that everyone in the room will be able to watch the screen easily.
Usually, the screens are installed either too high or just too low. The awkward placement leaves everyone with a stiff neck.
For a 55-inch TV, it is recommended that you mount it 61 inches from the ground.
Another common mistake that people make is that they fail to take into account the suns reflection. The afternoon sun can prevent you from enjoying the afternoon game, so consider how the sun or windows will affect the screen.
Or you can just cover the windows with curtains or blinds even during the day.
10. Don’t let the screen or gadgets overheat
While mounting the TV you need to leave room for airflow. The same goes for the TV stand.
The gadgets used with the TV also need care and attention. These simple tips will make sure that your gadgets and TV last longer than expected.
Because we don’t want you to cook your gadgets so recommend against placing your gadgets like Blu-ray player or PlayStation in an enclosed cabinet or TV stand.
Such places limit the flow of air and increase the temperature of the gadgets. This, in turn, decreases the lifespan.
So always remember that high temperatures tend to kill your electronics.
7 Ways to Get Everybody in Front of the TV screen
The entire viewing party must have a place in front of the screen while watching the Olympics, award shows or playing games.
Everyone should have a place while watching the TV without having to suffer from a stiff neck. We formulated 7 ways that one can host a party with everyone having a place in front of the screen.
2. Install additional screens
The majority of houses tend to have more than one screen but these are all installed in separate rooms. TV screens in separate rooms eliminate the advantage of using them all while hosting.
So if you find it difficult to host a crowd then we have the ideal solution to combat this problem. In order to make sure that all the guests will be cozy you can move another screen into the kitchen or adjacent room.
You can also DIY a TV stand and personalize it to add a bit of style. You can also arrange tablets around the sitting area. These screens will help display shows that are live streaming.
4. Create a home theater
If you are thinking about buying expensive equipment to create a home theater, then stop. All you need to do is set up seating like theater.
Using floor pillows and cozy blankets you can make a special area in the lounge right in front of your screen.
6. Utilize multi-functional pieces
Multi-purpose pieces like poufs, bean bag chairs and ottomans will add more places for the guests to sit comfortably while watching the screen. So get some creative ideas from your days in the dorm rooms and get buys.
For example, you can make an ottoman by attaching a sturdy fabric to some old coffee table. Make sure to personalize it all so that it is comfy and stylish.
55-inch TV’s are currently the most popular 4K UHD size given its perfect combination of beauty and brain to showcase the extra resolution of 4K content while uplifting the aesthetic appeal of your drawing room simultaneously.
The physical footprint of the 55-inch versions is almost similar to the requirement posed by a 42-inch model back when flat panels were in vogue courtesy the razor slim bezels.
The rising popularity of the 55-inch segment has added inertia to cut-throat competition amongst its manufacturers who are trying to maximize their market share by adding more features while scraping off prices on the go.
Thus, if you thought that these high-end beauties are not your cup of tea, it’s time to think again given their new-found affordability tag.