Beginner welders often suffer from the common misconception that they will be required to shell out huge amounts of corpus for starting with TIG welding.
But this is a complete opposite to the real scenario wherein you can make the most out of your professional or hobby works coupled with a TIG welder which can suffice a variety of materials ranging from aluminium to copper, steel and even exotics such as magnesium.
Today we are going to take a look at the top 5 TIG welders which can help you unleash your optimum potential on the welding job.
Now we are going to take a brief look at the things to keep in mind before purchasing a TIG welder.
1. 2018 AHP AlphaTIG 200 X 200 Amp IGBT AC DC Tig/Stick Welder
Weighing at 69 pounds, the Alpha-TIG200X can serve as your perfect pick for being used at a studio, garage or small shop.
The manufacturers pack in all standard TIG accessories, a control switch for the torch and a foot pedal for making it easier to use the torch.
Coupled with such attributes, this welder can handle heavy voltage and currents which can be of great aid while working on thin gauge metal.
The dual-purpose welder can suffice the requirements of both amateurs and professionals as its thin rod paves the way for outstanding precision while welding cars, motorbike, bronze castings, sculptures and similar projects where a smooth surface is desired.
The amperage range of this machine is bigger than its peers thus allowing you greater versatility.
The AHP Alpha-TIG200X can surely be termed as one of the most flexible welders available in the market given the whopping 200 amps dished out over a range of 110-220V coupled with an array of other pulse features.
The machine also offers AC/DC capability which can keep your back when you are working with both aluminium and steel. AC current aids the welder in cleaning the oxidization on the material while welding.
However, you will feel the requirement of a balance control for the AC since it will lengthen or shorten the welding and cleaning cycles by attuning the welding to the metal itself.
You can easily switch on and off the AC/DC modes using the Advanced Inverter Technology with Pulse Width Modulation of the IGBT Technology.
- Comes with a foot pedal which ensures optimum control and hassle-free operation while TIG welding.
- 60% duty cycle at 200amps.
- Smooth arc which is easy to manipulate.
- Easy to set up.
- Comes with IGBT and pulse width modulation technology.
- Regulator is not precisely calibrated. You might thus face discrepancy between the estimated and actual quantum of argon left.
- Amperage level is not displayed properly when the machine is switched on.
2. LOTOS TIG200 200A AC/DC Aluminum Tig/Stick Welder
The Lotos TIG200 can serve as the perfect pick for both hobbyists as well as amateurs with its affordable price tag.
Although the machine does not deliver fancy features like its expensive peers, it surely offers complete value for money as you get to make fantastic welds on stainless steel, aluminium, mild steel and similar materials coupled with a welding capacity of 3/8”.
While its HF start hand torch exercises supreme precision and control over heat through foot pedal welding, the square-wave inverter paves the way for accurate welding of fine aluminium.
The dual voltage capacity of this versatile welder aids it in running directly on 220 V 50/60 Hz power, or on 110 V 50/60 Hz using a pigtail. The large array of controls aid the welder in performing accurately under an array of situations as you get to switch easily from 220V to 110V through the included adapter plug.
The TIG200 comes with a 100% duty cycle uptime while dealing with low amperage jobs so that you can carry out your work without having to worry much about over stressing the machine or wasting much time.
The welding kit comes with a TIG torch, ground clamp and cables, stick electrode holder, foot pedal, argon hoses and regulators, handheld shield and pigtail adaptor so that you can start with your welding activities immediately.
- Dual frequency welder which can be activated at either 50 or 60 Hz.
- Can work on both 110V or 220V AC outlets.
- No requirement of an external switch since everything happens internally.
- Welding aluminium becomes a painless process coupled with its square wave inverter.
- The European style torch accompanying the machine is bulkier and less manoeuvrable when compared to pencil style torches.
- Dust accumulation under the cover can lead to static interferences with its normal functioning.
3. Amico TIG-225 / 220 Amp HF TIG Torch/Stick/Arc Welder
These 220 amps Stick and TIG welder features a built-in gas solenoid as well as a high frequency start for TIG.
Its high frequency start paves the way for easy arc starting as well as a considerable improvement in tungsten life. Its LCD amperage display also makes it extremely easy to operate by both amateurs and professionals.
Advanced IGBT inverter technology imparts excellent arc stability while welding thin workpiece at 15-220 amps. The robust strength and lightness of this welder components make it the perfect pick for being used either at home or in the workplace.
Some other stellar attributes of this dynamic welder are protection from over and under voltage, over load and over current.
Automatic temperature control feature ensures that the device does not cross over the maximum permissible temperature threshold thus adding to its longevity.
- Inexpensive welder which is bound to stun you with its performance.
- Lightweight welder which is simple to hook up and use.
- Amazing accuracy while welding a variety of materials.
- HF start works seamlessly.
- Extremely convenient for field jobs.
- Torch might seem to be a little cumbersome to use.
4. 2017 Everlast PowerTIG 185 DV AC/DC TIG Stick Welder
The dual voltage capability delivered in style by the Everlast PowerTIG 185 DV can enable you to operate virtually in every single place where a power outlet is present.
A smooth and steady arc is delivered by its digitally controlled IGBT inverter which surely comes in as a significant improvement over its contemporaries.
You can thus engage in both DC and AC TIG pulse welding coupled with this versatile welder which also supports stick welding function.
The dual pre-programmed setting of the TIG Pulse function makes it extremely easy to control while you benefit out of the dual operating choices of 50 pulses per second or 1 pulse per second.
The best in class duty cycle and widest range of adjustment places this Everlast welder at a class above its peer models as it serves as a must-have tool of your welding arsenal.
The analogue style input retained by this digitally controlled inverter has helped it in becoming the favorite of users who wish to view all the settings at a glance.
Extreme portability of this welder makes it tailor made for those who are always on the move or are on the lookout for a welder which can be carried around easily at the job site.
This robust welder is highly recommended for dealing with virtually all metals in portable repairs, motorsports, light fabrication works etc.
- Easy to use controls which leads to smooth welds.
- Possible to use stick with this unit having reversible polarity.
- Simplified setup and operation.
- Digital readout for precise control over welding amps.
- Lacks adequate current control of the AC mode at the low end.
5. 200 Amp TIG Torch/Arc/Stick DC Inverter Welder Dual Voltage IGBT Welding
This powerful rectifier manufactured by AMICO can weld up to 3/8 inches of alloy steel, stainless steel, copper, mild steel, chrome and cast iron.
Its full-sized Stick and TIG platform can easily outperform its peers in terms of voltage control, arc quality, value and duty cycle so that it can deliver flawless welds time and again.
You can also bid adieu to post-weld clean-up and spatter with this dynamic welder which adds greater efficiency in its usage. Its dual voltage output of 110V and 230V provides you with greater options in terms of plugging in the welder to common power supply boards.
The advanced inverter technology of this premium welder paves the way for more concentrated and stable arc. The response gets quicker as the work piece and stick gets short which ultimately aids in the design aspects of a welder.
- Extremely lightweight welder which can be carried around easily in the workplace.
- Accompanied with a hefty bunch of accessories which will help you in unleashing the optimum potential.
- Can serve as a perfect machine for hobbyists who are trying out their hands for the very first time in welding.
- The high-quality 26 torch has a nice swivel.
- Does not support the usage of flux core wire.
- Plastic housing might seem to be a bit bulky.
- Digital readout might not always match what is printed on the dial.
6. Hitbox 200 amp Portable TIG Welding Machine
The professional level TIG welder from Hitbox features a high frequency start for helping with the welding of stainless steel and carbon steel.
The entire package consists of an earth clamp, electrode holder, TIG torch, back cap, short back cap, long back cap and ceramic gas nozzle. This DC welder cannot be used for welding aluminum and you shall require an AC welder for doing the same.
A maximum thickness of ¼ inch steel plate can be welded by the Hitbox model. In spite of being a high-quality welder, it might get lackluster if you utilize it in extreme environments where it is prone to being pulled around a lot.
However, this can serve as your ideal pick if you are on the lookout for a machine which can cater to your hobby or special project requirements.
- Provides extremely accurate amperage reading.
- Has a super smooth arc which initiates pretty easily.
- Offers optimum value for money spent.
- Can be customized in accordance with your individual taste.
- Comes with a year’s warranty and lifetime technical support.
- Duty cycle of 60%.
- Lacks a foot pedal.
- Cannot weld aluminum.
- A regulator or flow meter has to be purchased separately.
7. Amico TIG 160 Amp Torch ARC Stick DC Welder
Amico has already curved out a niche for itself in the welding market with its stellar products by riding high on top-notch customer service and quality control.
This multi functional TIG 160 welder also stands true to this general consensus with its advanced inverter technology which can bring along stronger and more stable as well as concentrated arc.
The dual voltage capability of this welder coupled with an array of other attributes has make it ideal for dealing with a diverse set of materials such as mild steel, stainless steel, chrome, copper, cast iron as well as other alloys.
Weighing at just 15 pounds this compact welder can serve as the ideal pick for those on the lookout for a portable solution.
However, don’t let its size fool you as this beast unleashes unparalleled power coupled with its dual input capability of running on both 110 and 230 volts of electricity.
The output power also comes in at 25.2 and 26.4 volts respectively thus paving the path for precise welds with easy control of the arc.
The Amico welder features a full-sized Stick and TIG platform which can take on Stick, TIG and Arc welding with its 2-in-1 functionality. 160A achieved by this welder at the duty cycle of 60% while operating on both 230 and 110 volts is sufficient for handling various DIY welding projects.
- Inexpensive model which can cater to the welders running on a stringent budget.
- Short cooling down time.
- Better performance when compared to a 110v transformer based MIG welder.
- Can be plugged into any conventional power source whether of 110 or 230 volts.
- Compact and extremely lightweight model.
- Cannot weld aluminium.
- Does not include any regulator.
8. SUNGOLDPOWER 200Amp TIG ARC MMA Stick IGBT DC Inverter Welder
This 200G inverter welder from SUNGOLDPOWER rides high on advanced technology which positions it a notch higher than its contemporaries.
This versatile welder can keep your back in DC TIG and MMA welding operations. Both personal and professional requirements can be satiated by this welder which tags along phenomenal strength in spite of its lightweight build.
You can also be guaranteed of a start-up at 100% courtesy its HF service which in turn improves the tungsten life. You can weld an array of metals such as stainless steel, steel, copper, nickel alloys, bronze and brass with this efficient welder although no support is rendered towards the welding of aluminum.
Some other buffering attributes of the SUNGOLDPOWER welder are the protection rendered by it against over-voltage, under-voltage, over-load and over-current in an automatic manner.
A year’s repairing warranty and three months of replacement and refund is promised by the manufacturer so that you can unleash your fullest potential without having to worry about the welder malfunctioning.
- Extremely well packed and accompanied by all the necessary parts which are required to finish the project.
- Easy to setup by following the instructions laid out clearly in the user manual.
- Lightweight welder which can be carried around easily.
- LED readout is highly accurate.
- Intuitive controls which are easy to operate.
- Does not weld aluminum.
- Does not hold a stable arc.
9. Forney 322 140-Amp MIG/Stick/TIG Multi-Process Welder
The multi-process inverter based welder by Forney comes equipped with 120-volt of power which can easily take on DC TIG, Stick and MIG welding while offering a maximum output of 140 amps.
A variety of industries can thus utilise this versatile welder for catering to general fabrication, repair and maintenance, automotive, light industrial work and many more.
It also becomes easier to toggle between different welding processes coupled with the gas hose and regulator of the Forney 322. The Stick electrode holder of this welder includes both synergic MIG and standard modes.
Users can also make the most out of its HD cast aluminium drive system, spool gun and “euro” type disconnect torch all of which join hands together to guarantee optimum value for money spent.
You need to purchase the foot pedal and TIG torch separately. Operating the Forney welder is an extremely easy affair as even beginners can get started by following just the instruction manual which accompanies the product.
Its enhanced design consists of a strain-free torch which ensures optimum durability of the cable. This 120-volt welder can run on standard household current thus adding to its versatility of being used in an array of places.
Last but not the least, the stellar duty cycle of 20% makes the Forney welder tailor-made for taking on lightweight projects while the joint forces of dual geared idler and cast aluminium drive system ensures better wire feeding which is necessary for working with heavier materials.
- Highly portable welder which is accompanied by many accessories.
- Comes with a reliable warranty service.
- Features better wire feeding system.
- Upgraded design which is Stick and MIG ready.
- Euro connect MIG gun reduces changing troubles and ensures the stability of welding.
- Gas hose and regulator needs to be purchased separately.
- Not suitable for taking on lengthy projects.
10. Mophorn TIG Welder 160 Amp TIG Stick Welder
This 2-in-1 combo welder by Mophorn can cater to your TIG as well as arc stick welding requirements.
Such attributes make it ideal for undertaking repair works in sheet metal processing, machinery manufacturing, automotive maintenance, shipyard, iron processing, home decoration, large projects as well as construction field.
This light-weighted welder having a robust steel construction can easily take on heavy duty usage without getting lacklustre over a prolonged stretch of time.
The Mophorn welder opens up greater possibilities ahead of its users coupled with its compatibility with both 110 and 220-volt input options.
This high performing welder features a voltage compression function which can be of great help in tackling network power fluctuation issues.
Some other standout safety features of this extremely portable welder are overheat, overcurrent and overvoltage protection which can keep you buffered at all times from possible chances of mishaps.
A 60% duty cycle can keep the machine running for long before requiring some cooling period.
- Can be used either as an arc stick as well as TIG welder.
- Level of output current can be adjusted through the knob.
- Can weld stainless steel, aluminium alloy, titanium, chrome, steel and other metals.
- Gas delay time can be adjusted between 0-15 seconds.
- Powerful cooling system prevents the welder from getting overheated and imparts greater longevity to the same.
- Can be used in either 110 or 220-volt input.
- The aluma cup gets cooled down within a few minutes’ time.
- Might come off as a bit noisy for being used in places where sound might cause a major distraction.
We hope that our discussion has been of adequate help in lowering down your search and making it easier for you to take the final call.
The most important thing which you need to remember before bringing home a TIG welder is the type of job you wish to undertake.
Some other factors which also needs to be considered are the type of material you wish to weld and the environment where you wish to work.
You are bound to come out with flying colors on the completion of your welding task if you can align all of these factors with each other.